Sunday, April 25, 2010

USS ASHLAND LSD-48......BULLSEYE....


I have been around so long that some of the people who are good friends do not know that my life history includes being an "Officer and Gentleman " on the USS ASHLAND LSD- 1 during the time of the Vietnam Conflict.I spent almost three of my youthful years on that "bucket " and learned some of my most valuable lessons of life..........during that time.An Navy LSD is a Dock Landing Ship that carries an amphibious force that includes Marines and Navy Seals that land on beaches by boats (LCVP'S) dispatched from the Ashland.Need I tell you that this amphibious group is both deceptive and lethal to the "enemy"............

The present USS ASHLAND with it's modernized weapons was "attacked" last week by Somalian pirates......and upon being fired upon ....the Ashland.......following the rules of engagement......immediately "took aim" and blew the pirates "skiff " to pieces............The pirates are now being returned to the United States to face a trial.........This may slow down the "piracy business "........

The Officer in charge of the weapons on board is called the " Gunnery Officer in Charge ".......one of my titles in this life.......Kind of wish I had been along to see the skirmish......

You can learn more about the USS ASHLAND on its website..............

No comments:

Post a Comment